Frugal Scrapper Extraordinaire:)

For those of you who have been following my blog, THANK YOU, I'm still here and as FRUGAL as ever. I'm just expanding my blog title to further reflect my "altered" muse. I'm still the same (sometimes goofy) FRUGAL SCRAPPER that I've always been and will continue to focus on FRUGAL papercrafting projects:)

Saturday, October 9, 2010

"Waterpainting" with Mr. T!m's Distress Inks

As promised, I'm back with a technique I use often.  I call it "water painting" with Mr. T!m's distress inks.  Since Autumn has arrived, I decided to "waterpaint" using some of my favorite Autumn inks.


Now for this technique, it is important to position your inks on your craft mat so that they portray the background your are trying to achieve.  Since I wanted to start by "painting" my sky and ground, I started with the Forest Moss and Tumbled Glass inks...I swished the inks across my craft mat in a kind of "S" fashion.


I know it's hard to tell in this picture, but I swished Tumbled Glass and right beneath, swished Forest Moss across my mat.  Then I spritzed with water using a mini mister water the inks down a bit.

Then I layed a plain white piece of cardstock over the ink.  I have found it's best to use a "non" textured cardstock for this type of project.



Then I dry the ink so when I layer more ink over it, it won't get "muddy".


I then took a "tree" stamp from my stash and just inked part of it since I only wanted the "trees on the edge of the project.  I used archival Sepia ink for these trees so that the trees would not be effected once I layered more distress ink "painting" on top of what I'd already done.



I repeated my "swishing" technique using Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade, and Rusty Hinge distress inks.  I added more water using a mini mister and just patted my paper on the ink. I then used one of T!m's decorative corner stamps and decorated the corners of the project using the Sepia archival ink again.  The cool thing about the archival ink is that once it's dry, it will NOT react to getting wet like the distress inks do.



I added another one of T!m's stamps to another piece of white cardstock (this time with black archival ink)and "painted" with more distress inks as seen below.  With this technique, I just randomly took the ink pads right to the paper, lightly tapping them until I got the effect I was looking for.  I used Tumbled Glass, Mustard Seed, and Spiced Marmalade.



Then viola...I added some subtle fibers and one of T!m's coins and I'm finished...


You can find T!m's distress inks here at CropStop.com.  You can also find many of T!m's ideal-ology products here, also at CropStop.com.  They also carry many of T!m's Stampers Anonymous stamps here.

I hope you enjoyed this short tutorial:) 

Feel free to share a link to your project using this technique via a comment to this post:)

Yours creatively,

Lori M., FSE:)

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Gorgeous card, Lori! I love your swishing technique!