Frugal Scrapper Extraordinaire:)

For those of you who have been following my blog, THANK YOU, I'm still here and as FRUGAL as ever. I'm just expanding my blog title to further reflect my "altered" muse. I'm still the same (sometimes goofy) FRUGAL SCRAPPER that I've always been and will continue to focus on FRUGAL papercrafting projects:)

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Frugal Scrapper Tips 'n Techniques #4

Ok fellow scrappers, I have quite a few things going on here...where do I start...hmmmm...let's start with the canvas background:) I purchased a few of these canvas backgrounds from the local dollar store (there were actually 2 packaged together). I originally got them for my grandkids to paint on, but then thought...hey, these would make a great altered art project for my blog...I hope you agree.

This canvas measures 7" x 9", but when I bought them (around Thanksgiving) there were other sizes available, too...as "luck" would have it, though they are nowhere to be found now:( If anyone finds them, please let me know as these would make AWESOME covers for mini books, too.

I first randomly painted the canvas with two of my acrylic paints. Then as part of a Prima contest, I used Prima packaging on my project. The "ribbons" on the right side (black polka dots), the strips around the left photo AND the mat on the right photo are from Prima packaging. The aqua mat on the left photo is from another Prima package (it's actually a cool aqua/white brick wall pattern, but it's a bit hard to see in this pic).

I also used the tape that goes across one of the buckets of flowers Prima sells (notice the Prima, Prima, Prima across the top of the project)...it would have been awesome if I had some ballerina pic's as I could have done "Prima" Ballerina...oh well, maybe another time:)

I also stamped on the canvas using swirl stamps with Staz-on ink. I did add paint to the edges of the photo mats and ink around the edge of the canvas, too. Of course, I had to use some Prima flowers and "bling". I really love Prima's product line.

So I guess the moral of this post is:
  • Stop by your local dollar store often...you never know what treasures you will find.
  • Don't just "toss" the packaging from your scrapbook products. With so many companies going "green" and helping us stretch our scrapping $$, I have found that packaging really is useful...(I've been using the cellophane and acetate packaging for years)
  • Acrylic paints AND inks should be a staple in your scrapping stash...they last "forever" if stored properly and are an easy way to alter your projects. I've had some of my ink pads and acrylic paints over 10 years!
  • Create responsibly (go "green" and do your part to save the earth)...

I'd love to see how you have used these techniques in your project:)

I'm sure you'll find other ideas for using Prima's packaging here.

Enjoy!

Lori McCausland, Frugal Scrapper Extraordinaire

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

VERY cool! I have used canvas too and it was so fun~ If you ever need ballet photos, just ask! I have a ballerina en pointe at my house.

Brenda said...

OMGOSH!!I have been dying to try one of these I LOVE this project..awesome use of your packaging materials!
hugs
Brenda