Frugal Scrapper Extraordinaire:)

For those of you who have been following my blog, THANK YOU, I'm still here and as FRUGAL as ever. I'm just expanding my blog title to further reflect my "altered" muse. I'm still the same (sometimes goofy) FRUGAL SCRAPPER that I've always been and will continue to focus on FRUGAL papercrafting projects:)

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Finish your canvas with the Frugal Scrapper:)

November is here, and Frugal Scrappin' is right around the corner...on November 18th, we will complete an awesome 3 month project.  Whoo hoo!  I can't wait to see all of the awesome student projects:)  We're up to 15 awesomely creative students now.  LIFE IS GOOD in this Frugal Scrapper's world...

I've finally had a chance to finish the last two "tags" that will complete our "12 Tags of Christmas" canvas project...now I'm sure you've noticed that our "tags" are actually ATC sized individual projects, all using TH products/techniques.  This will make an AWESOME wall hanging, perfect for gift giving or home decorating just in time for the holiday season.

Here are the last "2" "tags".  The first tag is actually acting as the front of a "door" and is attached to a mini 2 1/2" by 3 1/2" canvas with hinges made using TH grunge paper.

The background is a combination of papers/techniques from a previous class so that we could utilize some of the left over paper and also give the project some flow between each tag.

I've covered the grunge paper with silver paint via a silver paint dabber.  While the paint was still wet, I pressed the hinge into some vintage photo distress powder.  I've found that the paint dabbers are a great substitute for embossing ink when trying to obtain a random grungy feel with the embossing powder.  I heat set the embossing powder and then went back over with a little more silver paint until I got the result I was looking for. 

Then I added a bit of silver stickles for some extra shine.  I repeated this same technique on the keyhole.  Both the hinge and the key hole are part of the TH alterations "hardware findings" from Sizzix.


When it came to the second "tag", I turned the mini canvas backwards so I could use it as a box of sorts. 

First I inked the wooden frame of the canvas with vintage photo distress ink.  I kept going over it until it got good and dark (kind of reminds me of the "old english" furniture polish).  Once the ink was dry, I painted over it with the silver paint dabber. 

I let the paint dry, then used a Tonic scratcher tool to scratch some of the silver paint back off, showing the vintage photo ink underneath the paint.  I love the vintage effect that was achieved. 

I then placed a piece of paper on the back of the canvas and using a paper piercer made a hole in the top of the frame.  I took some wire and wrapped it around a "key" (an old sizzix die that I treated using the same method as on the hardware findings). 

Using some fabri-tac glue, I pushed the top of the wire into the hole I had made so the key would hang inside the box.  To finish, I added a magnet so the "door" would stay closed.

I can't wait until our class when we will complete these last 2 "tags" and put the project together.  I'm now heading over to Ever After to add these last "tags" to the project.  I'll take a picture of the completed project and post it on the blog later today.

Now for the supply list for November's class:

Paper Trimmer
Distress ink tool
Adhesive (like a tape runner)
Silver stickles
Silver Paint Dabber
Vintgage Photo distress ink (walnut stain would also work)
Fabri-tac (or similar glue) you will need LOTS since this will also be used to put the project together
Vintage Photo distress embossing powder (walnut stain will also work)
Paper Piercer

enJOY!

No comments: