Frugal Scrapper Extraordinaire:)

For those of you who have been following my blog, THANK YOU, I'm still here and as FRUGAL as ever. I'm just expanding my blog title to further reflect my "altered" muse. I'm still the same (sometimes goofy) FRUGAL SCRAPPER that I've always been and will continue to focus on FRUGAL papercrafting projects:)

Monday, June 18, 2012

A Little Color Inspiration with Card Patterns on top:)

So, I'm really lovin' this new venture of mine, working with color inspiration...and this week is no different.  I've been craving rainbow sherbert this week, so I thought I'd surf the web for some pics of sherbert (less calories this way, right?)

Here is what I found:

Isn't this just YUMMY lookin'?  This is just the PERFECT color inspiration for me this week...and a PERFECT way for me to continue my quest to experiment with my oh so yummy distress markers!

This is where I started here, at my very dear friend Teresa Jaye's blog.  She was using a technique she learned from a tutorial by Jennifer McGuire here and I just HAD to try it myself.

The challenge was to find a stamp in my stash that would work for this type of technique...and voila, I found a "screen" stamp by Unity Stamps.  After stamping on white paper using a distress embossing ink pad and white distress powder, I started by choosing a few of my favorite distress markers and just randomly colored in each square.  Once this was completed, I misted my paper with a bit of water mixed with perfect pearls in copper.  I just love the way it turned out.  (Now, I should have taken a foto BEFORE I made my card) but alas, I did not do this, so my sample is what I have left after finishing my card.

Next, I dropped in on one of my favorite sketch blogs, Card Patterns, and used this sketch for additional inspiration.

So let's review:
  • I started with my color inspiration - Rainbow Sherbert
  • Added a new distress marker technique by Jennifer McGuire which I found at Teresa Jaye's blog
  • I visited Card Patterns for a sketch
  • ...and created the masterpiece below!
I have to say, this is one of my favorites of my recent cards.  I just have to tell you how much I LOVE all the inspiration I find on the web these days!  Here are a few more fotos of this gorgeous card:

When it came to the inside of this card, I wanted the water color effect to fade into the background, leaving more room to write a personal message.  To do this, I just colored my stamp and then stamped off my project before stamping back onto it without re-inking the stamp.

Supplies:

Patterned Paper: Making Memories - Simply Fabulous (2005); DCWV Posies Glitter Print...(not sure of year)
Cardstock: Bazzill Basics
Watercolor paper
Stamps: Studio 490 "It's more flower art"; MFT Friendship set
Distress Markers: (with flower stamp)spiced marmalade, shabby shutters, worn lipstick, dried marigold, (for "screen project) in addition to those already listed, milled lavender, faded jeans, mustard seed, fired brick, peeled paint.
Distress Ink: spiced marmalade
From my stash: ribbon, rhinestones

7 comments:

Teresa Jaye said...

WOW! This is gorgeous!That is a fun technique, huh? I just LOVE this color palette and your layers are amazing! The floral outside and in is just perfect. See, now, I would never think to change the direction of the background and have the foreground overlap - you are amazing and inspirational!

Jacquie Southas said...

neat technique Lori - you just might persuade to pick up some of the Distress Ink markers

Unknown said...

Beautiful card...TFS...christina

Karen T said...

wonderful use of those distress markers! beautiful!!

scrappymo! said...

Now I can see why people love the distress markers...Lovely!

Inkyfingers said...

What a fabulous, colourful card. Love it!

Anna-Karin said...

Wow, this is gorgeous! Love how you coloured the squares and the card is fabulous. Thank you for playing along at Card Patterns!